This scholarship program is open to students who, after completing one years of study at a BC public college, university college or institute must transfer their credits into full-time studies at another public post-secondary institution in BC to complete their degree. Successful applicants must clearly demonstrate academic merit as well as significant involvement in their community and/or school.
For more information and to download the application, visit the Irving K. Barber website.
The Ike Barber Transfer Scholarship Program is open to students who:
- have completed their 1st year of full-time studies with a minimum of 30 transferable credits at a BC public post-secondary institution (regardless of whether the particular credits transfer into their specific program) and who must transfer in order to complete their degree.
- have completed their 2nd year of full-time studies with a minimum of 54 transferable credits at a BC public post-secondary institution (regardless of whether the particular credits transfer into their specific program) and who intend (choose) to transfer in order to complete their degrees.
- have at least a B average (3.00 GPA) on the best 30 credits, if transferring after 1st year, or on the best 54 credits, if transferring after 2nd year.
In addition, scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis to students who:
are Canadian citizens, permanent residents (landed immigrants), convention refugees, or protected persons living in Canada; and
- are residents of British Columbia, defined as having a primary residence in BC for at least 12 months prior to the date of enrollment at their new institution; and
- have clearly demonstrated significant volunteer community and/or school involvement*, supported by two references submitted with the application; and
- are beginning full-time studies at a new institution between May 1, 2017 and April 30, 2018. (Full time is defined as 60% of a full course load.)
*Unless extenuating personal circumstances have prevented such involvement.
• Students selected for a Transfer Scholarship will only receive the award after the Society confirms final grades with their sending institution and confirms their full-time enrollment at their new institution in the program named in their original application.
• Students who have not yet completed the required credits (30 or 54) before the application deadline but, will complete the required credits before transferring are eligible to apply.
• Students may apply in advance of receiving official acceptance of admission to a new institution.
• Transfer credit information is available online at www.bctransferguide.ca. Credits cannot be transferred from a completed 3 or 4 year degree.
• Students with a break in studies of 10 months or more between leaving their old school and starting at their new school are not eligible for a Transfer Scholarship, except in extenuating circumstances (e.g. medical).