This award is made possible by the generous contributions of Bruce Byfield, journalist and writer and his wife Patricia L. Williams. Ms.William passed in the summer of 2010, and the award is being given in her memory. This award is given annually to a mature student (25 and over) from the Freda Diesing School of Northwest Coast Art who has demonstrated leadership and mentoring qualities in the classroom. Faculty from the School of Northwest Coast Art will select a student after confirmation of enrolment in the second semester of the certificate or diploma program.
- Enrolled in the Freda Diesing School of Northwest Coast Art (first or second year)
- Identify and work with a mentor to facilitate the ongoing learning process
- Resident of British Columbia
- Demonstrate potential in visual arts in the Northwest Coast style
- Display mentoring and leadership qualities in their relationships with other students in the school both inside and outside class