Heavy Duty Equipment Technicians work on industrial and construction vehicles, such as mining trucks and bulldozers; on heavy equipment used in construction, forestry, materials handling, landscaping, and land clearing. Heavy Duty Equipment Technician is a nationally designated trade under the Inter-provincial Red Seal program. Heavy Duty Equipment Technicians overhaul, repair and service equipment such as graders, loaders, shovels, tractors, trucks, forklifts, drills, and wheeled and tracked vehicles. Working from manufacturers' specifications, they identify and repair problems in structural, electrical, mechanical, or hydraulic systems.
For more information visit the ITA Website.
The foundation program for this apprentice trade is Heavy Mechanical Foundations
The full-time, 8-week program is competency based. The program delivers the complete theoretical and practical outcomes of the provincially accredited Heavy Duty Equipment Technician apprenticeship program.
- Line D Electrical
- Line H Engines and Supporting Systems
All apprentices who complete Level 2 of the Heavy Duty Equipment Technician program with a FINAL level percentage score of 70% or greater will receive 240 work-based hours.
Please visit the ITA Website for more information on career opportunities for apprentices in this field.
- Must be a Registered Apprentice and have a TWID (Trade Worker ID) number.
- Heavy Duty Equipment Technician (HDET) Level 1 OR
- Heavy Mechanical Foundations (HMF), OR
- Truck and Transport Mechanic (TTM) Level 1, or
- Transport Trailer Technician (ttt) level 1, OR
- Diesel Engine Mechanic (DEM) Level 1, AND
- Recommended 1000 hours work-base hours,
- Grade 10 or equivalent in Math, English and Science.
- Grade 12 Recommended
Complete a NWCC Bursary Application [PDF]
|HDET Level 2||March 5, 2018||April 27, 2018|
|FEES||Full-time Domestic (8 weeks)||Full-time International (8 weeks)|
|Student Union Fees:||$41.52||$41.52|
|Total Program Costs:||$1,126.40||$3,238.28|
Tuition and fees effective August 7, 2018
- Book List
- Tool Kit (tax included): Approximately $1750